Friday, September 19, 2008

The Diner in Norman


I wake up,
From the deep,
Realize its Sunday
And almost weep.

We’ve been apart,
Mid-fortnight,
Its been too long,
Without a bite.

The line was long,
But I didn’t complain,
Even if it was,
Half-block down Main.

Huevos Rancheros,
Not for me,
Just give me the usual,
And let me be.

Chicken fried chicken,
Scrambled cheese egg,
Hot sauce and home fries,
Don’t make me beg.

Of course I want,
Biscuits and gravy,
Not the grits,
That’s just crazy.

The Sooners played great,
Last night was fun,
Refill the coffee,
And I’m done.

It’s time to leave,
Move the car seat back,
I know that dinner,
Will only be a snack.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Welcome. I hope you had a song for me at choir practice...I could've used one last night.

Alexandra MacVean said...

I loved your work. I'll be looking for more.

cynthee said...

nice...=)