Friday, September 19, 2008

ROOMMATE NEEDED: $450 + BILLS, VERY CLEAN, STEALTH...ISH, GREAT NUNCHUCH SKILLS


I have always been a movie fan; I have loved them since I was old enough to watch Willy Wonka one hundred and fifty times in one summer. Watching Amazing Grace and Chuck as a teenager had me somber for days and discovering Casablanca as a twenty-something restored my faith in the power of love. As I grow older I have found less and less time for my favorite pastime and sadly, popcorn has become a distant, buttery memory. It is not that I don't watch movies, I do, I just get around to them long after everyone else. Many of you know that I moonlight at a pawn shop, but few know that the DVD section is my teacher's pet and if you are looking for a movie, I can probably tell you if we have it and where it is amongst the throngs of them in our showcase.

One film medium that I have recently discovered cannot be found in any showcase and in my native Oklahoma, can probably only be found on the internet or through your local On Demand service. The movie short has been around for a while, but with the invention of the on-demand cable service can now reach millions of new adoring fans. Clocking in usually at a meager ten minutes or less, one can get all the satisfaction and meaning of a two hour epic, but spend a fraction of the time! I have discovered many such films on the Festival Channel of my local cable service and have simply fallen in love. My most recent romance is with a film by director Steven Tsuchinda and is a Sundance Selection from 2003 (holy crap, I AM behind), A NINJA PAYS HALF MY RENT.

This movie is simply hilarious, as you can see by clicking below on one of the links to YouTube. It is a story of a man, whom because of the recent "death by grapefruit" of his former roommate must find someone to live with. Out of desperation, he rents out to an oft-overlooked, but always respected member of the community, the ninja. Now we all know Ninjas are silent killers and are the perfect assassins, but few know that they also make ideal roommates. Quiet, unimposing, and gainfully employed, these guys will be there for you, whether you need someone killed or simply need the syrup passed. Although always on the alert, Ninjas are skilled artisans and reliable companions, but they do have one glaring flaw, they are often pursued by OTHER ninjas, especially ones with a need of a room to let. Saying more would ruin the ending, though at a meager 5 minutes, it is hard to say where this movie begins or ends, oh hell, just enjoy it!

Check it out and while you are at it, here are some other great shorts to cleanse your pallet: A STOLEN MOMENT, THE MANTIS PARABLE, and THE SAVIOR.

No comments: