Friday, September 19, 2008

Blood suckers from a sweet sojourn spent on a caribbean isle....or your favorite new band, VAMPIRE WEEKEND!


Cast Sting as young Flannigan, working in a tired NYC Bar scene, Flannigan and mentor Andy Summers, escape to Jamaica where they meet and fall in love with Stewart Copeland and his fluglebinders. Skip all that rich vs. poor yuppie crap and enjoy as key rock ingredients get mixed to perfection and produce a beautiful cocktail of music. Oh and they decided to call themselves Vampire Weekend. So you've heard they have an Ivy League education and you're questioning their street cred, well get over yourself indie snob and embrace the sweet science that is this awesome self-titled debut. The hype machine has been spitting out articles on these guys in droves and they were even on "the buzz". Yes, normally this enough to send me back into my log cabin, make me grab my needle and cone and spin that latest Iron and Wine. However as soon as "Oxford Comma" hit my ears I knew something was different with these guys, "who gives a fuck about an Oxford Comma/I've seen those English dramas too, their cruel". Are you serious, are these guys actually getting literary on our asses? Well hell alright, I'm game for some learnin', so I move on to the opening riff of Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa and I promptly spend the next 20 minutes mixing everyone in the house drinks involving tropical fruit and little umbrellas, oh yes, we are miles away from ordinary. Educated lyrics, reggae inspired beats and the unmistakable indie rock sound provide just the right blend of cool to the first can't miss album of 2008. Despite being accompanied by the rather brash sound of my blender and the clop of my deck shoes, this album will continue to by my anthem of the upcoming summer, long into the fall and keep me warm on those long winter nights. Buy this album, support good music, enjoy me telling you what to do, and see you on the beach.

No comments: