Friday, September 19, 2008

A Poem by a child with Autism, written by his teacher.


If You Only Knew

I am a boy,
Just like him,
Maybe not the same,
But certainly not dim.

Our views, different,
On many things,
Such as life,
And the joy it brings.

Facts and figures,
They come to me,
Out of dense fog,
With perfect clarity.

Numbers, they dance,
Around my brain,
I trust the sum,
It remains the same.

But his face is strange,
And his expression queer,
That silver tongue,
Is causing me fear.

Why doesn't he say,
The things he means,
Instead of these lies,
Disguised as pleasantries.

I'm not doing well,
The weather's not fine,
You wouldn't be rich,
If you'd have a dime.

You are called normal,
And I'm called lame?
Ask a million people,
They'd say the same.

Excuse my scream,
It's just you,
Contradictions hurt,
If you only knew.

No comments: